Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ronny G's 2nd blog

So, 1st day on the job and it was an eye opener I guess.

As I reached the lab, 1st thing I saw were patients waiting for testing or treatment.

Apparently, some come at 5am in the morning and wait all day. However, our client ensures us that many used to be even unable to walk to the lab (had to be carried), now things have improved.

We had a tour of the route of one of the couriers, and we spoke to the driver about drinking and pubs. He said Zambians like a drink (probably not much unlike Aussies I guess).

Most of the clinics we visited seemed ok and interesting, however, there was one that he called a “ghetto”. It was extremely poor, and was outside this market. I wanted to buy something there to contribute to the economy but did not.

The nicest clinic was funded by the Danish government in kalingalinga.

Other than the day, today, it bucketed down. As there is no pavement or footpaths, I had to run on sliding mud. To my surprise there were a lot of runners but they ran on the road, (I did not have the guts). My fellow team members wanted to run 2, but instead they slept, while I got drenched in the rain.

Last night I also discovered that I have aircon in my room. This discovery amazed me because the night before I woke up as I was too hot. It also works really well.

I have not taken many photos, but so far this trip has been amazing, keep u posted,

Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment