Saturday, January 24, 2009

Team Awesome, Minus 1

It was a sad morning – as we waved goodbye to Beth we realized that our African adventure is soon coming to an end. Beth is heading up to Nairobi today to start her Kenyan biking adventure, while Ron, Fernando and I are heading to South Luangwa tomorrow for our safari. I was reading on-line yesterday that there are 50 hippos in every square kilometer of the Luangwa River, and since it is the rainy season this is the best time of the year to bird-watch. We promise to blog when we return, and hopefully upload a picture or two. The modem-only internet here is quite temperamental, which means downloading or uploading photos takes several hours, and uploading video is completely impossible. We promise to upload our photos when we return to the States, collectively we have accumulated quite a collection of them.

After seeing Beth off this morning, I dragged the boys to Kabwata Cultural Center to pick up souvenirs. The cultural center is set in a dirt field, with thatched roof huts housing wares that include teakwood tongs, marble sculptures, handmade bags and purses, earrings, and many other handicrafts. We were greeted by shouts of “madame, please come here… I give you good deal… First customer of the day.” We were quickly swarmed by all of the locals selling their wares and eager to “make us good deal.” I had plenty of practice negotiating as I picked up some souvenirs for friends and a few trinkets for myself. As I walked into the “womens’ tent” my heart went out to this group of women who had such an amazing assortment of ornate crafts and who encircled me to tell me what I should buy. I would have bought twice as much, if only I had enough room in my bag…

So now we’re back at home, enjoying the sun (finally, it hasn’t rained yet today!) and hoping for good weather on safari. Check back on Wednesday for our next update!

No comments:

Post a Comment